Austromontia silvatica Lawrence, 1931. Photo copyright A.B. Kury
Lawrence (1931) included three species in Austromontia but did not designated any type species. The genus name was then unavailable because failed to comply with ICZN 13.3 (see below). Staręga’s (1992) action of choosing one of them as the type first made Austromontia available because this complied with 13.1.2 and 13.3. Relevant provisions from ICZN article 13 are: To be available, every new genus-group name published after 1930 must (13.1.1) be accompanied by a description or definition OR (13.1.2) be accompanied by a bibliographic reference to such a published statement AND (13.3) be accompanied by the fixation of a type species in the original publication. As Staręga’s name is published before 2000, it does not have to meet the article (16.1): Every new name published after 1999 must be explicitly indicated as intentionally new.
Close related to Austromontia, Ceratomontia (part, just the South African species ), Monomontia and other genera classified as "Ceratomontia group" by Kauri (1961) . This group is characterized by the presence of fine granulation on the ventral surface of the pedipalpal femur, differing from the "Roewerania group", which lacks such granulation
- Austromontia bidentata Lawrence 1934: 568
- Austromontia caledonica Lawrence 1931: 402
- Austromontia capensis Lawrence 1931: 400
- Austromontia formosa Lawrence 1963: 293
- Austromontia litoralis Lawrence 1934: 569
- Austromontia silvatica Lawrence 1931: 398,
- ↑ Lawrence, R.F. (1931) The Harvest-Spiders (Opiliones) of South Africa. Annals of the South African Museum, Cape Town, 29(2), 341–508.
- ↑ Staręga, W. (1992) An annotated check-list of harvestmen, excluding Phalangiidae, of the Afrotropical Region (Opiliones). Annals of the Natal Museum, Pietermaritzburg, 33(2), 271–336.
- ↑ Kury, A.B. & Mendes, A.C. World Checklist of Opiliones species (Arachnida). Part 1: Laniatores - Travunioidea and Triaenonychoidea. Biodiversity Data Journal: Data paper. Submitted
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Mendes, A.C. & Kury, A.B. (2008) Intercontinental Triaenonychidae—the case of Ceratomontia (Opiliones, Insidiatores). The Journal of Arachnology 36:273–279.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Kauri, H. (1961) Opiliones. Pp. 9–197. In South African Animal Life. Results of the Lund University Expedition in 1950–1951. (B. Hanström, P. Brinck & G. Rudebeck, eds.), Volume 8. Almquist & Wiksell, Uppsala