- Holcobunus Roewer, 1910:162
- Garleppa Roewer, 1912:56 (syn. Ringuelet, 1954)
- Sympathica Mello-Leitão, 1933:101 (syn. Tourinho & Kury, 2001)
- Paratamboicus Mello-Leitão, 1940:97 (syn. Tourinho & Kury, 2001)
"Remarks: Both species from Brazilian Atlantic Forest (including the type species) form a very homogeneous group and probably constitute a monophyletic unit. Generic placement of species distributed outside this domain is questionable and will await on a review of those species and of other South American genera." (Tourinho & Kury 2001)
"Species of Brazilian Atlantic Forest included – Holcobunus bicornutus Mello-Leitão and Holcobunus nigripalpis Roewer." (Tourinho & Kury 2001)
- Holcobunus albianus Mello-Leitão, 1944:13 - Brazil
- Holcobunus bicornutus Mello-Leitão, 1940:? - Brazil
- Holcobunus bogotensis Roewer, 1953:249 - Colombia
- Holcobunus chilensis Piza, 1942:389 - Chile (?) [mislisted elsewhere as Brazil, but Chile (Loc.?) in Roewer, 1953]
- Holcobunus cinctus Roewer, 1953 - Colombia
- Holcobunus conspersus Roewer, 1953:248 - Bolivia
- Holcobunus dentatus Roewer, 1910:164 - Brazil
- Holcobunus dubius Ringuelet, 1960:224 [1959?; Argentina]
- Holcobunus geniculatus Mello-Leitão, 1938:335 - Brazil
- Holcobunus granulatus (Roewer, 1912) - Bolivia
- Holcobunus iguassuensis Mello-Leitão, 1935:367 - Brazil
- Holcobunus insperatus (H. Soares, 1972) - Brazil
- Holcobunus laevis Ringuelet, 1960:225 [1959?; Argentina]
- Holcobunus littoralis Mello-Leitão, 1938:336 - Brazil
- Holcobunus marmoratus Mello-Leitão, 1938:334 - Brazil
- Holcobunus metallicus Roewer, 1953:248 - Bolivia (Illimani)
- Holcobunus mexicanus Roewer, 1953 - Mexico (Tampico)
- Holcobunus misionicus Ringuelet, 1959 - Argentina
- Holcobunus nigripalpis Roewer, 1910 - Brazil
- Holcobunus riedeli Starega, 1970:3 - Cuba
- Holcobunus segadasi Mello-Leitão, 1949:1 - Brazil
- Holcobunus tenuis Roewer, 1953 - Honduras
- Holcobunus tocantinus Roewer 1953:246 - Brazil (Tocantins - Cametá)
- Holcobunus trochanteralis Roewer 1953:246 - Brazil (Tocantins - Cametá)
- Holcobunus unicolor (Loman, 1902) - Bolivia
- Holcobunus unifasciatus Roewer 1910:166 - Colombia
See also Prionomma unicolor Loman 1902:178 [F; in Holcobunus: Roewer 1910:167; Bolivia]
From Tourinho & Kury (2001)
- (1) eye mound dorsally armed with low spines with points either sharp or blunt, located on its anterior half or arranged in two parallel rows.
- (2) first proximal nodule closer to the base of the femora (0.1-0.3/0.1-0.15/0.1-0.4/0.1-0.3 of the femur length).
- (3) Lateral margins of supracheliceral lamina crenulate.
- (4) Dorsal scute in male trapezoid with posterior margin convex, in female markedly pyriform.
- (5) Pedipalpal tibia sinuous at base (Figs.12, 21).
- (6) Femoral nodule formula: 2/5-6/2/2-3.
- (7) Winglets (collapsible sacs) uniform narrow (longer than wide) along all its extension, borders undulated; anterior part in ventral view folding ventrally to form collar (Figs.31, 33).
- (8) Truncus strongly sinuous dorsoventrally, slightly bent without forming definite angle at glans (Fig.27).
- (9) Glans globous, stylus long (40% of glans length) (Figs.28, 32).
- Character states 7-9 are unknown for H. bicornutus. Character states 2,4 and 5 are putative synapomorphies for the genus Holcobunus.
Location: South America, with extralimital species from Mexico, Honduras, and Colombia, Bolivia, and others needing revision.
Tourinho & Kury, 2001 (on p. 9) say for Holcobunus iguassuensis Mello-Leitão, 1935 "is surely a member of the Pectenobunus Roewer, 1910/Acropiliops Mello-Leitão 1933 assemblage". Also, Holcobunus dentatus Roewer, 1910 was included in a list of "eight species are probably most closely related to the hitherto monotypic Jussara Mello-Leitão, 1935", but was not transferred in Tourinho-Davis & Kury, (2003). Tourinho-Davis 2004 discusses the possible placement of Holcobunus luteipalpis Roewer, 1910 in Abaetuba, concluding that re-examination of that type specimen is required.